For the gardener with a life!

We're all busy, no one has time to do anything anymore let alone research. Not only that, everything is processed and expensive and it's hard to find the important quick facts you need in one place for getting started with your very own garden in a cleaner greener way. So this is for you, the gardener with a life!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Composting containers, what works for you?

There’s one to fit every gardeners needs.

Buckets:
find a bucket with a lid for daily scrapes and throwing them straight into your garden or collect scrapes every couple of days to throw into your bigger compost bin later. Keep these on the kitchen counter (if they're cute enough!) and you plan on dumping scrapes daily or keep it under the kitchen sink if you’re dumping scrapes bi-weekly.

 



Mesh cages:
Really good for aeration but difficult to mix. And it was harder to get the compost  out when it was ready to use because ready to use compost normally sits at the bottom of your bin! And I found it took longer to heat up, maybe I wasn’t using enough greens but I found a closed container to work the best

 














Closed containers:
They’re helpful because they have lids to keep birds or other animals at bay. I also found mine heating up faster and retaining moisture better then my cage. Very easy for me to turn the compost because it wasn’t spilling out everywhere and they have extremely convenient doors at the bottom that you can open to remove the composted material as needed.


 


Rotating Closed containers:
These are the most expensive but by far the easiest to use. You throw everything in, close the lid, and turn the crank to mix it up. Then every few days head out there to turn the crank and add some water and crank it up again. No pitchforks, no tillers, no sweat!

 












Side note: I enjoy the extra arm workout I get
from turning my compost so I did not opt for this container





I like to recycle or I'm cheap and I don’t want to buy one:
Get creative and find leftover items you can use around your house or just dig a hole in your backyard!



Don't forget to water your Pile- think damp sponge!!




No comments:

Post a Comment